Immigrant women are more likely to suffer domestic violence than non-immigrant women. Oftentimes, the abuser may not be violent, but uses power and control tactics. Although each case may be different, some of the other forms of abuse are listed below.


  • Emotional Abuse
  • Economic Abuse
  • Sexual Abuse
  • Coercion and Threats
  • Using Children
  • Using Citizenship Privilege
  • Intimidation 
  • Isolation


Human trafficking involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are trafficked worldwide – including right here in the United States. It can happen in any community and victims can be any age, race, gender, or nationality. Traffickers might use violence, manipulation, or false promises of well-paying jobs or romantic relationships to lure victims into trafficking situations. Language barriers, fear of their traffickers, and/or fear of law enforcement frequently keep victims from seeking help, making human trafficking a hidden crime. Traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to lure their victims and force them into labor or commercial sexual exploitation. They look for people who are susceptible for a variety of reasons, including psychological or emotional vulnerability, economic hardship, lack of a social safety net, natural disasters, or political instability. The trauma caused by the traffickers can be so great that many may not identify themselves as victims or ask for help, even in highly public settings.  enables certain victims of a severe form of trafficking in persons) to remain in the United States for an initial period of up to 4 years if they have complied with any reasonable request for assistance from law enforcement in the detection, investigation, or prosecution of human trafficking or qualify for an exemption or exception. T nonimmigrant status is also available to certain qualifying family members of trafficking victims. T nonimmigrants are eligible for employment authorization and certain federal and state benefits and services. T nonimmigrants who qualify may also be able to adjust their status and become lawful permanent residents (obtain a Green Card).


The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. To obtain U status, the victim must obtain a certification from a law enforcement official. However, only U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has the authority to grant or deny this benefit.


Widowers who were married to a US citizen at the time of the US spouse's death can obtain a permanent residence card (Green Card), for which they must submit form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, widowed (a), or Special Immigrant along with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (if within the United States). By regulation, USCIS requires that the application be made within 2 years after the death of the spouse, it must also be shown that it was a genuinely marriage (in good faith) and that the widower (a) did not remarry. Unmarried widower's children under 21 are included and do not need to file a separate petition. If the widower / widower lives outside the United States, his / her approved petition will be sent to the US embassy or consulate, to initiate the consular process. If the U.S. citizen filed a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, in favor of his / her spouse before death and it was approved, the widower / widower does not have to file any application. The Form I-130 will automatically be converted to a Form I-360.


Asylum is a form of protection the United States provides which allows an individual to remain in the United States instead of being removed (deported) to a country where he or she fears persecution or harm. Under U.S. law, people who flee their countries because they fear persecution can apply for Asylum. If they are granted asylum, this gives them protection and the right to stay in the United States. Those who are granted asylum are called asylees. Persecution can be harm or threats of harm to you or your family or to people similar to you. A person can also obtain asylum if he or she has suffered persecution in his or her country in the past. You only can win asylum if at least one of the reasons someone harmed or may harm you is because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion (or a political opinion someone thinks you have), or the fact that you are part of a “particular social group.”


Family-based immigration lets United States citizens, lawful permanent residents (also know as green cards holders), refugees and asylees bring immediate and extended family members to the United States through a sponsor system. Immediate relatives of a United States citizen include the parents, spouses and unmarried children under 21. Immediate relatives may file residency petitions without delay. Other relatives, apart from “immediate relatives”, must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available based on your preference category.


Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills certain requirements. In order to qualify for naturalization, you must meet the following requirements: lawful permanent resident that is over the age of 18, at least 5 years of continuous residence in the U.S., physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months prior to the date of filing the application, and be a person of good moral character. In addition, an applicant for naturalization must pass the English and Civics test in order to qualify for U.S. citizenship. An applicant has two opportunities to take the English and Civics tests per application. If you fail any portion of the test during your first interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed anywhere from 60 and 90 days from the date of your initial interview.  


Removal is the legal term when a non-citizen has been found removable from the United States for violating immigration laws. The immigration judge will grant an Order for deportation of the non-citizen without any punishment being imposed or contemplated. Please note that when a non-citizen is determined to be removable, then he or she may be eligible to apply for one or more forms of relief to avoid having to leave the United States.

More Services

  • Affirmative Asylum
  • Defensive Asylum
  • Request For Parole and Release for Urgent Humanitarian
  • Cuban Adjustment
  • Removal of Condition
  • Work Permit (DED)
  • Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Student Visa
  • Fiancé Visa
  • Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
  • Advance Parole and Info Pass
  • Visa Extension
  • FOIA all immigrant matters
  • Waiver I-601
  • Waiver I-601A
  • Waiver I-212
  • Motion for Bond
  • Motion for Change of Venue
  • Request To Restart Asylum Clock
  • Application for a Stay of Deportation or Removal
  • Consular Processing